Ransomware is becoming so common in everyday IT life, that it’s more a case of “when” than “if” an infection strikes you or your business.
Ransomware hackers are finding more ingenious ways to infect your systems, commonly preying on simple human error to deploy the virus rather than a brute force attack.
With the busy lives we all lead, it’s easy to get caught out and click a link or open an attachment that looks legitimate, because we haven’t read it properly or paid enough attention to the details.
Read our blog on spotting the “dodgy emails” for more information and guidance on spotting ransomware before it strikes.
When the attack does take place, there are only 2 viable options available, as ransomware is a particularly nasty form of intrusion.
Pay the ransom, which Is not recommended in any circumstances, as there is still no guarantee of retrieving your ransomed data.
Or, resort to recovery of your files from a backup.
It’s at this point, when you go for your backup does the backup solution you employed start to pay dividends. Only the quality and validity of your backups will save the day.
Prevention is always better than cure, so can you ever have enough backups?
Well, simply no, the more the merrier. The more you cover your business, the stronger chance you have of recovering. Ransomware hackers are getting more and more sophisticated, even to the point now of encrypting backup services, like Dropbox. So, if your backup is encrypted, it’s useless as a point of recovery.
So a multi-level backup approach is the only sensible approach a business can take.
Backup Best Practices
ITTS believe its best to have a 3-stage approach to backup solutions.
- Live backups – Devices and services that are attached to your systems all the time, offer the fastest recovery time in the event of a loss, but are the first to be compromised, and are usually rendered useless by most ransomware strains.
- External Storage – Devices that are not always connected to your live systems, like external hard drives, Tape drives, duplicate PC’s and servers that are powered off most of the time or only connect or are connected for the purpose of the backup.
- Offsite storage – this is the best solution not only for viruses and ransomware but for all types of DR, such as Fire, Theft, flood or any form or data or site loss. Offsite storage can take the longest time to recover from, but offers the best chance of a full and viable recovery.
For offsite storage it is critical that it is not connected to your systems, if your systems can’t see it, then a virus can’t infect it.
DR Planning and Testing
It’s important that all backups are tested, checked and verified, as if every night your backup is backing up corrupt information or to a corrupt or damaged medium, the backup is useless in the event of a recovery. So It’s vital to check its valid, current and functional, on a frequent basis, to make sure when you need it, you have it.
Also consider a dry run, what if, just pretend the worst has happened and you reach for you backup…
- Does it work?
- Does it do what you expected?
- Is everything you need there?
- How long would it take to get back up and running again?
A DR plan is critical to measure the potential impact a ransomware strike could have on your business. Would you know what to do, if it happens to you? How would you deal with it?
Why ITTS for your backups?
It’s a simple answer, as we offer a varied range of solutions to fit all business requirements, whether you need it back in a hurry, as time is money, or your just happy to get it all back at all, even if it takes a while. We have solutions to cover your needs…
- We copy data to devices on your site and replicate them offsite to our data facility
- Our data facility is Private, its run by us, controlled by us, we manage all aspects
- Secure, off your site, and encrypted if required
- We check the logs, Yes, a human (ITTS engineers) checks system reports daily for errors and failures.
- It’s not oversubscribed, so recovery is as fast as can be
- We can perform controlled environment test recoveries, so you know that in the event of strike, you have a point of recovery
Get in touch for more information, impartial no obligation help and advice..
Together we can help keep your business keep fluid and out of the clutches of criminal gangs, exploiting your business and your pocket!
“What we do today, ensures you have a Business Tomorrow”